This recipe was originally written for quail but the stuffing is equally as good used in turkey. The use of chestnut puree to thicken the gravy gives a lovely flavour and is gluten free. To make the puree simple cook peeled chestnuts in stock or water and pass through a ricer or mouli directly into the pan drippings.
1. Wash quail and pat dry. For the stuffing, cook the chestnuts and green onion in butter until onion has wilted. Combine with remaining ingredients.
2. Fill cavities of birds with stuffing, secure openings, and place birds breast-side-up in a baking dish. Melt honey with butter, add onion and simmer 1 minute.
3. Pour over the quail and bake at 180oC, basting frequently during cooking, for 45 - 50 minutes or until pale golden and cooked through.
4. Arrange the birds on a serving platter and keep warm.
5. To make sauce, add sherry to baking dish and bring to the boil. Stir in honey, chestnut puree and 1/2 cup water, scraping up cooking residue on base of dish.
6. Simmer 5 minutes, or until thick and syrupy. Season to taste, spoon sauce over quails, and serve.