Geraldine Holmes is a foodie who hosts tours of the Victorian Markets in Melbourne and also runs cooking classes. Recently, she featured chestnuts in her Christmas Turkey class and has kindly shared the recipe.
1. Place chestnuts in saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes until softened then drain and roughly chop.
2. In a pan melt butter and lightly cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes until softened without colouring.
3. Combine onion and chestnuts with remaining ingredients.
4. Fill cavity of turkey with stuffing, secure opening closed with toothpicks, truss turkey with kitchen string, then place breast side up in baking dish. Cover drumsticks and wings with pieces of foil which have been well buttered.
5. Pour 1 cup of water into baking dish, butter a large piece of foil or silicone paper and place over turkey.